Return To Community Initiative
An initiative known as Return to Community, passed during the 2009 legislative session. Return to Community is targeted toward nursing home residents who have expressed a desire to return to the community and have the resources and supports to assist with the transition.
Return to Community facilitates successful transitions from the nursing home to the community by:
- Helping to change the mindset that nursing homes are the best long-term residence
- Using public resources efficiently
- Respecting people's preferences for living and caregiver arrangements
- Promoting good health and quality of life
Return to Community focuses on the nursing home resident and their family by:
- Beginning discharge planning at nursing home admission
- Equipping residents with self-care skills
- Supporting family caregivers
- Lining up community resources
- Providing follow-up after nursing home discharge
Return to Community is targeted to nursing home residents who:
- Are early in their nursing home stay (90 days after admission)
- Have the desire and resources to return to the community and/or supports to assist with the transition
- Are private pay
- Would otherwise become long stay residents
Return to Community is a partnership between public agencies, nursing facilities, hospitals and other health care providers.
The Return to Community service is provided by Senior LinkAge Line® specialists, known as Community Living Specialists, who assist residents in person with the transition from the nursing facility to the community. Follow up assessments will be completed for a number of years with the individuals who are transitioned from the nursing home. This is a unique feature of Return to Community.
The Return to Community service is a 2009 legislative initiative being implemented through the MinnesotaHelp Network™, which includes the Department of Human Services, the Minnesota Board on Aging, the Area Agencies on Aging, and the Senior LinkAge Line®.
View Start Planning Now to Return and Remain at Home Successfully (pdf)
View Returning Home: Making a Successful Move to Your Home and Community booklet (pdf)
The Return to Community service began in April 2010.